Friday 11 November 2011

Straddling the Gender Line

OK, so this may actually be a blog entry rather than a vague wandering synopsis of what juggles around in my mind. :o)

I had initially taken a few days off this weekend to go off running in the Lake District with maybe a Notts Chams trip out on the Thursday night before.  However, a cold I've been fighting over the past few weeks hit my chest hard on the Sunday before, so I had to take the difficult decision to cancel the holiday.  I still booked the Friday and following Monday off work to relax and recover from this malady before the busy period of events leading up to Christmas.

I didn't have any plans for the weekend, but I knew that I'll be up to some boy and girl stuff at some points.  So today, I did my hair (really getting the hang of it now; and one for a future blog post) and had a manicure and paint at my local salon.  Unfortunately, I had a couple of clumsy moments and managed to knock the nails about a bit before they completely dried :(

So what to do?  I hadn't had a chance to see the new big BMW tourer (motorbike) yet, so on with the bike kit, jump on the RT and off to Braintree.  Had a wander round, feeling a bit conspicuous with the nail varnish, but all was OK.  I could even get my feet (well, toes.  I'm only 5'4"!) down on the big tourer.  I want one, but at over 17 grand, it ain't worth it :-)

Only 'issue' I had there was finding out that the salesman I spoke to was a neighbour of a running friend of mine.  Don't know if he clocked the hair and varnish but I doubt if it'll get back to my friend.

So, back on the bike, head for home.  Passing Freeport (a retail 'village'), I couldn't resist a nose about and turned in.  I wasn't wanting to go there, as at Freeport there's a Karen Millen outlet shop.  Now people who know me, know that I like KM.  A lot!  The style works for me, the clothes fit well and the quality is pretty good.  Whenever I wear KM, people notice.  So with an outlet shop, with ferociously discounted clothing, I just had to visit.

After a quick nose about and a brief enquiry if I was OK from the shop manager, I picked out a khaki top with lace trim and a red vest top to try on.  Now I know some t-girls have had problems with changing rooms, but even with full winter motorbike kit and no makeup, I never had a problem with KM.  Both tops fitted fine and even gave me some shape (despite not having my bosoms in).  Passing the shoe rack I clocked a pair of high-heeled Glads.  Now I have a pair of red Hi-Glads (tm) but can never get anything to work work them (yet!).  So these 'Champagne&Black' shoes should go with anything. :-)

'Saved' myself over £180 but was £120 pounds more I was intending to spend today.  Had a very nice chat with the manager too.  Finished off with another chat and demonstration of an espresso maker with a saleslady at Gaggia.  Again no problem with clashing gender cues.  Fortunately for my wallet, the espresso machine would have been too big for the top box. :-)

So an interesting day.  Bit of him, bit of her.  I wonder if I'll fall to one side of the line at some point during the rest of the weekend :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment