Monday 23 January 2012

Behind the painted smile......

After having a fantastic time at the first Nottingham Invasion, I was very tempted to visit again in January.  However, having had a very busy December, I really needed to back out and have some quiet few weeks.  I should have ignored Facebook and just carried on with the drab (but never boring) life.

Keeping an eye on the Invasion group, I could not resist joining in especially when Sue and Tiff were making an effort to be there, so booked up a room at the New Gables.

All was fine on the lead up to the week of the event.  Then on Tuesday, I started to get a few wobbles.  Nothing rational.  Just didn't feel like going.  Wednesday, my stomach was a little upset and I was getting a few twinges in my neck and shoulders.  I put it down to a busy time at work.  I managed to avoid taking advantage of the 48 hour cancellation notice, convincing myself that all would be fine.  I needed to prepare for the weekend, but kept putting it off by reading or playing computer games (not something I tend not to do).  By Friday morning, I had changed my mind a number of times and was very indecisive with what I was going to wear and pack.  Also, I wasn't keeping much food down and was ill a few times that day.  By now I knew it wasn't a bug but nerves.  I usually get the same feelings before a major competition.  Once I'm competing, the nerves drop away and I'm fine.  Although usually by then dehydrated and lacking energy.  With that in mind, I focussed on getting through the day, ready for the journey north.

I left work early, initially planning to get to the hotel for 5pm, but hoping for 4:30.  This gal has a lot of work to get ready and two hours prep just ain't enough.  I should have taken the A1 but opted for the M1 instead, knowing it may get a bit slow near Notts, but expecting an easier run in the southern counties.  How wrong I was!  Arrived at the New Gables, stressed, flustered, rushed. 

Sat on the bed, I just didn't want to do it.  I shut my eyes for a few minutes and just thought about going in guy mode.  It wouldn't bother me too much and I knew it wouldn't bother the other either.  But they were making quite an effort to get glammed up, some travelling long distances too.  I just couldn't do that to them.  Every last one of the girls I've met have been fantastic.  It would be like turning up to a friend's evening meal with a bottle of water, rather than wine.  I put my head together and concentrated on getting ready.  The hair was styled in haste.  I knew it wasn't right as I should have taken time blow drying it.  I tried a slightly different look with the eye makeup too.  Which seemed to come out OK in the mirror.  New dress, new shoes, new bag and new jewellery and off I went to meet the others downstairs.

As expected, once downstairs the nerves dissipated.  It was great to meet Maddy, Jo, Sue and Chrystal again.  Another great night out was on the cards.  Sam had approached the manager of Oceana, a 'straight' club, and received a positive response for our visit.  I still wasn't feeling right about myself.  I felt self-contained, not feeling freely sociable.  Also I felt self conscience about my presentation and the surroundings.  It wasn't uncomfortable, just felt out of place.  This was exasperated when in the loos of Oceana I checked my makeup and saw a panda looking back.  I was after a distinct but subtle form of the eyes but it was too late to fix.

The rest of the night went well.  OK, didn't get to dance as much as I wanted, but had a good few chats and really enjoyed the event once again.  Getting back to the hotel, I was quite happy to remove the garb which is a rare feeling.

After a brief sleep, breakfast and saying goodbyes to Maddy and Jo, I sorted myself out to make for home.  Driving into the city, I felt that I wasn't fully fit for driving, so stopped off for a walk around.  For the first time, that weekend, I felt OK.  I seemed to fit in, blend with the crowds and even had the confidence to ask for help in a few shops.  After a couple of hours exploring the city, I took a scenic route via Melton Mowbray back south.  During a quick stop in Oakham, I was caught in a shower without an umbrella.  I rushed back to the car but the hair was reverting back to it's natural state.  Self consciences hit again.  The feeling of belonging in Nottingham immediately turned to alienation.  Getting back to Essex, I needed to do some food shopping.  Covering up the hair with a woolly beret, I tried to blend into the other shoppers, but felt as if every eye was on me, every utterance talking about me.

The following day, I realised I should never have gone.  I should have listened to my emotions.  As an athlete I listen to my body.  If it says not today, I don't push it.  My internal feelings were ignored.  And now in the aftermath, I look at the Facebook statuses and photos and find I can't look at myself.  It's making feel uncomfortable about myself.  Hopefully this will pass and part of the reason of writing this, is that it will help me get over these issues.

I will consider taking a break from the T-world for a while.  Maybe in hindsight having a quiet January was a sensible idea after all.

4 comments:

  1. It's a tough one isn't it? Stay and think that you missed something, or go and then find your heart wasn't in it. :-) Still, you gave it a go and made the effort, so props to you mrs!

    I hope the pink funk fades and you're back to your cheery self soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn. A few days on, I'm feeling much better about going as I've realised it wasn't about how I was dressed, but the fantastic company. I still can't handle photos of me at the moment though.

      No sure about the pink funk phrase. I know what you mean, but thought of James Brown cd'ing does strike quite an image!

      Delete
  2. Tanya, I had absolutely no idea that you were feeling like this. To me you were your usual fun self, enjoying the evening, flashing your great smile and sporting your ever-gorgeous clothes, makeup and hairdo. I think you looked amazing as ever and were great company. You are always among friends and we will always support you - God knows, it's tough being trans as we all of us know. If you feel down or hesitant and your mojo is fading, don't hesitate to say. No one will judge you badly and we'll always give you love, support and comfort as only women and TGirls know how. You're an inspiration to me, Tanya, and I'm privileged to be your friend. I'm glad you're feeling a bit more positive now and hope you'll have your spark back 100% very soon. You have my contact details if you need them. Sue xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww. Thanks Sue. xxx

    Your response has really tugged at the heartstrings and it's taken me a couple of days and read throughs to absorb what you've written into a context for my head! One thing I've learned is not to push this gift too hard if it's not ready. My head wasn't in the pink zone but in the competitive zone that night. Can't really describe it, but I know the forms each take. That's why maybe I came across as 'usual' Tanya because underneath it was driven by different energy.

    I can't say that my mojo is low at the moment because the word doesn't quite capture the essence of the low. However, hwyl does. It's Welsh and it conveys more passion, more emotion, more drive to me than mojo. That is the tank which needs refuelling so grabbing this chance to take a step back is appropriate.

    I'll still be wandering about in the virtual world, although this blog may have to take a snooze unless the pink pillows hit again.

    Love

    Tanya x

    ReplyDelete