Sunday 20 May 2012

Unforgettable Summer


I like music.  A lot.  But I'm not geeky about it.  I like what I like, however, usually I don't know what the music being played is called.  If you see what mean.  So my taste is pretty eclectic.  Pop, rock, soul, jazz, opera, classic, even church organ music.

Having had my formative music style moulded by the sounds of the late 70's / 80's, I guess it comes as no surprise that I have a bit of a soft spot for electronic and disco music.  There are a few songs which really tug at my heart and screws up the pit of my stomach.

One of these songs is 'I Feel Love' by Donna Summer.  I have a need to listen to it whenever it is played on the radio or on the iPod.  It's that perfect blend of the mellifluous voice matched to music which carries me away into Cloud Nine.

It was this song which caught me at a sensitive moment after my first tranny night out in Leeds last August.  Driving down the A1, it was raining very hard.  Concentrating on the driving and the light traffic, my sub-conscience mind was still reflecting on the previous two wonderful days and the fabulous night before.  Feeling emotional but very happy.  The radio was on as usual, but I cannot remember now what show was playing.

Until....

That first second caught my ear.  The volume was immediately turned up a few notches.  Part of me was taken away into a dreamy ether.  The rain and spray giving a comfortable anonymous element to the scene.  Then the waterworks started.  I'm not one for welling up, but this time the tears were streaming down my cheeks at the same rate as the rain drops dancing off the door mirrors.

When the song finished, I returned to reality, thinking I'd better stop somewhere to sort myself out and fix my face.

Rest in peace, Donna Summer.  You may not be still with us but your music will always have a special effect on me.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on the ability of music to move a person. Just a few bars of certain songs - personal songs - are enough to send my heart soaring, or let it drop to depths.

    RIP indeed.

    ReplyDelete